Bunker Hill CUSD #8 believes the health, safety, and well-being of our students and staff are our top priorities. The Bunker Hill CUSD 8 Pandemic Planning Committee, convened on Tuesday, March 10, and along with guidance from the Illinois Department of Public Health, established the following protocols for dealing with the outbreak of the coronavirus (COVID-19):
- School buses are being disinfected daily
- All classroom desks in both schools are being disinfected each night
- Door-knobs are being disinfected multiple times daily
- Frequent hand-washing is being stressed and monitored
- Student absences are being monitored by our district nurse and shared with the Macoupin County Department of Public Health
- Beginning this quarter (3/9), Perfect Attendance awards for the year will be discontinued. We feel we are sending mixed signals by urging children to stay home fever free but incentivize perfect attendance. Any student at BHHS currently exempt from final exams will not be penalized for any absence during 4th quarter.
In addition, our district is preparing an e-Learning/long distance learning plan in the event of a forced closure by the Department of Public Health. One of the required components is data showing home Internet access of families. Please consider answering this very brief, 4 or 5-question (depending on your answers) survey today or tomorrow (Friday, March 13, 2020): http://bit.ly/39PMUhy
In the meantime, please rest assured that Bunker Hill CUSD #8 is continuing to vigilantly monitor this evolving situation and will provide timely communication to families as soon as we are able. For the latest guidance regarding the coronavirus, please refer to the following links:
Finally, our teachers have been diligently preparing either e-learning or print lessons for grades 4th-12th and small “continuing learning kits” for grades PK-3 in the event of a closure. These kits will arrive home with your student tomorrow (Friday, 3/13) and are to be kept in case of closure. Hopefully, this closure never occurs and instead would be a great resource to prevent the typical “summer slide.” Permission slips for students in grades 4th, 5th, 6th, and 9th grades (currently our grades that are 1:1 with Google Chromebooks) will be arriving in your child’s folder today. Please sign and return to school tomorrow if possible.
I understand these are unusual circumstances and appreciate everyone’s support and patience as we continue to plan for various contingencies. The health and wellness of everyone in Bunker Hill means the world to me. As always, please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns.